History of the Luxembourg Palace
The impressive building known today as the Luxemburg Palace was built between 1686—1694 as administration building and summer residence for the Electors of Mainz. During the French Revolutionary Wars the administration building came under fire in 1792 from the Prussian artillery. In 1796 the governor, Damian Martin Strauss, had to flee In the following years the buildings were seriously neglected after the abolition of the Electorate of Mainz in 1803 the former administration building passed into the possession of the Dukes of Nassau. In 1810 the administration was relocated in the treasury
after the anciliary buildings of the administration building were demolished.
In 1820 the building was sold to the Frankfurt leather merchant Georg Christian Dörr, reportedly for 11000 guilders. In 1858 Duke Adolph of Nassau bought it as a summer residence. His wife, Duchess Adelheid Marie, was particularly fond of it. From 1873-1877 the building was enlarged to form a palace and towers were added. The designs were prepared by the Brussels architect Bordiau, Until the duchess's death in 1916 many members of Europe's foremost families visited her at the Königstein palace.
In 1948 the palace became the property of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg. Four years later a Frankfurt businessman bought the palace. The furniture was sent to Luxembourg. In 1970 the town of Königstein bought the palace. From 1979-1980 the badly neglected buildings were renovated and leased to the courts. Since 1981 the building has been the head Office of the local court.
Impressum / Nutzungsbedingungen