The Castle Ruin at Falkenstein
Little is known of the origins of Falkenstein. In the 11th. Century there is a castle on the "Noringsberg". A record dated 1103 mentions the counts of Nürings (Norings) as having
estates in the surrounding area. This family died out at the end of the 12th Century. The von Münzenberg family was followed by the Falkensteins, descendants of a collateral branch of the lords of Bolanden, who had acquired Königstein castle in 1252. The Falkensteins built a new castle on the Noringsberg, which they called "Neu-Falkenstein" after their family estate in the Palatinate. In 1364 the castle was destroyed. The line of the lords of Falkenstein died out in 1418, shortly after the castle ruin had passed into the possession of the lords of Nassau. The 15th. Century was the age of the robber barons of Falkenstein Falkenstein was jointly owned by a number of knight's families. In 1679 the line of the lords of Staffel died out, the last family of knights to live in the castle. The castle fell into decay, after the damage done in the Thirty Years War. Village families moved into the castle buildings. The counts of Nassau-Saarbrücken gave the fief to the imperial barons of Bettendorf, who governed in
Falkenstein from 1681—1773 and made themselves hated by the people for their harshness. In the 19th. Century the towers and walls were torn down and the rubble
used for buildings in the village. In 1842 Mr. Osterrieth, a Frankfurt businessman, got an order prohibiting further demolition. In 1954 the Falkenstein local authority bought the castle sits from the German Federal State of Hessen.
Impressum / Nutzungsbedingungen